The 6th edition of The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) Corporate Challenge will be held on Saturday, July 6, 2019, at the Muri Okunola Park, Adeyemo Alakija, Victoria Island, Lagos. The race will see over 1000 runners from more than 170 listed companies, broker-dealer firms, non-listed companies and the Nigerian entertainment industry run to raise awareness and banish cancer from the society. The NSE Corporate Challenge is an annual, highly competitive and fun-filled 5-kilometre walk, run and jog competition designed to support cancer causes and charity.
In case you are wondering what the NSE Corporate Challenge is all about, here are 8 facts to get you up to speed:
- The NSE Corporate Challenge is a 1-day challenge to engage Nigerians on the benefits of early detection of cancer and also to raise funds to support the fight against cancer in Nigeria.
- The Corporate Challenge started in 2014 as a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative of the Nigeria Stock Exchange.
- Since inception, the NSE Corporate Challenge has helped to raise N63,362,624, through the support received from corporates, dealing members and wellness companies for the fight against cancer.
- The participants from the Challenge are staff from commercial organisations, government agencies, non-commercial organisations, celebrities and other notable Nigerians.
- The NSE chose sports to raise awareness and advocate for change because it has been proven that maintaining a healthy lifestyle through diet and frequent exercise is an effective approach to reduce the risk of cancer.
- In past editions, celebrities such as Ali Baba, MI Abaga, Burna Boy, Seyi Shay, Dolapo Oni-Sijuwade, Gideon Okeke, Debola Williams, Tina Mba, Simisola and Yung6ix have participated in the e-race run.
- The NSE Corporate Challenge provides an opportunity for positive competition amongst corporate teams, as well as a chance to network within the business community.
- All proceeds from the competition will be geared towards supporting cancer-focused causes or charity.
With statistics from the World Health Organisation showing an estimated 116,000 new cases of cancer and 41,000 cancer-related deaths were recorded in Nigeria in 2018, this year’s NSE Corporate Challenge will also have aerobic exercises, music, dance and entertainment from great talents in the fight against cancer.
Check out the video below for more information.